Common Child Custody Arrangements
Often one of the hardest-fought battles when it comes to divorce, child custody is rarely easy. You want the best for your children, and unfortunately, determining custody is not as simple as choosing one parent or another to raise them. Instead, it is broken down into multiple forms all centered around what is determined best for the child involved, including:
- Domiciliary Parent. Awarded to the parent with whom the child will live most often. The parent with physical custody is responsible for the daily care of the child.
- Legal custody. Both parents can share legal custody, meaning they both have the right to make decisions regarding their child’s education, health care, religion, and other major aspects of their life.
- Sole custody. A parent with sole legal and physical custody is exclusively responsible for their child.
- Shared custody. This arrangement typically involves a child spending equal time with both parents. That being said, it requires a great deal of cooperation from both parents. If you’re looking at a joint custody agreement, you will have to prove to the courts that you and your child’s other parent are capable of working together when it comes to the care of your child.
- Visitation. A parent who does not get legal custody may still have a right to physical visitation with the child.
Wondering which child custody arrangement is right for your family? Talk to us. We’ve seen our fair share of child custody cases, and we’re ready to listen to your story and advise you on a solution.
Seek a Brighter Future for Your Family
Divorce is never easy, but working with the right legal team may help things feel a little less daunting. At The Law Office of Benjamin Comeaux, LLC, we want to help you and your family move forward with confidence.
Contact our team of divorce attorneys when a problem like child support, alimony, or a child custody dispute is preventing you from living the life you deserve. We’re ready to help you seek solutions. Schedule a consultation with us today at our office in Thibodaux, Louisiana.